Wuxi is in the south of Jiangsu Province, approximately half way between the cities of Shanghai and Nanjing, the former 128 km (80 mi) to its east, the latter 183 km (113 mi) to its west. Along with nearby city Suzhou, Wuxi is a popular travel destination for visitors to Shanghai and being less than an hour away by train, busy weekend retreat area for locals in the area. In its south is Lake Taihu and its northern border is the Yangtse River.
With rich natural and cultural heritage, Wuxi is one of the top ten tourist cities in China. The typical features of the area is that of the regions of rivers and lakes. Wuxi occupies the most scenic part of Lake Taihu and enjoys the beautiful scenery. Theme parks like the Tang City, the Three Kingdoms City, the Water Margin City which feature daily live shows are new tourist attractions. The 88-meter tall bronze Buddha statue (Linshan Dafuo) and the holiday resorts add more appeal to the visitors.
- Garden of Ecstasy (Ji Chang Yuan) one of the leading gardens in SE China and Emperor Qianlong, who made seven visits, had a copy made of the garden at the Summer Palace in Beijing.
- Grand Buddha at Lingshan (灵山大佛) – One of China’s largest Buddha statues at over 80m tall. The whole Lingshan area is a tourist attraction, with a musical fountain which plays out the story of the birth of the Buddha, as well as the Brahma palace (梵宫), a very grand palace with the pillars made of sandalwood, built to host the 2009 Buddhist conference.
- Taihu (太湖) – A very large lake with many scenic spots, famous for its fish and freshwater pearls.
- Donglin Academy (东林书院). Kept by the stone arch, with pool, Dong Lin monastery, Lize Hall, by Yong Tang, Oscillation Temple, three Temple, things promenade, to re-vegetarian, Road South Temple, Donglin Temple and other major construction work report, remain Ming and Qing Dynasty style layout shape and history. There are relegated name associated Gu Xian: “Reading the wind rain and the sound of ears; family affairs world are concerned about everything.” edit
- Wuxi Zoo (无锡动物园) This is a combination zoo and amusement park, and can get crowded on the weekends.